Laughter

Laughter

Saturday, March 19, 2011

The moment my life changed...

March 12, 2011 - It happened so fast I almost can't believe it even happened. I'm sitting on the couch after coming home from a haircut when my cell phone rings. The caller ID says it's my 14 year old nephew Kaden. I thought maybe it was my sister, using his phone.

"Hello" I say. "Aunt Sandi, something is wrong with Grandpa. My Mom says you have to go to Grandma's. It's bad". I can't believe it and can't understand what he's saying. I ask what happened but of course he doesn't know.

My husband and I leave the house quickly with our son. I am way to upset to drive. I call my Brother who doesn't answer. I get my sister in law on the phone but she doesn't know anything. Bobby is on the phone with my nephew and they are headed to my Mom's house. I tell her to please call me when they get there. She promises me she will. She never does. Turns out she doesn't want to be the one to tell me my Dad is dead. I don't blame her.

I live about 40 minutes from my parents and it feels like the ride takes hours. About ten minutes away my Brother calls. I tell him to just tell me. I don't want him to struggle with it and I don't want to wait. "He's gone". Just like that. I scream out and sob uncontrollably. "PLEASE NO!". The last ten minutes are like a dream. I don't want to get there and face the reality of my Father's death but I need to get out of this car.

When we get to my Mom's, I see the police cars and the crisis van for the City Fire Department. I am momentarily confused and slightly hopeful that this is all just some weird mistake. I jump out of the car even before it's stopped. Running into my Mom's house I can see there is no mistake and this is far from weird. There is a policeman standing guard at the bathroom door. He's in there. Lying on the floor, gone for a while. A heart attack took him on his way in or out of the shower. We'll never know. My Mom found him and he was already gone.

I feel in an instant like my life will never be the same. My rock, my strength, my biggest supporter and cheerleader is gone... in an instant.

No comments:

Post a Comment