My Dad never met a stranger. If you were a friend of a friend – you were his friend. If you were his friend, you belonged in his family. He didn’t have the best example of how to be a family or how to be a father but even without that example, he was the most amazing Dad I could have hoped for. The one thing we all wanted to get across about him was that his family was his life and his life was his family.
I could tell you a thousand stories about my Dad and examples of how he loved us. He was our soccer coach and our softball coach. He served on our school board, voted in a by a church he wasn’t even qualified to be a member of. He drove us to swim lessons, tennis lessons and school. He brushed our hair and put it in ponytails. He chaperoned our school dances and field trips. He knew our friends and their parents. He would be the first to push us harder or console us if we lost. He buried us in the sand at the beach and drug us around Disneyland, even when he wasn’t feeling well. He encouraged us to dream about our future and then helped us come up with a plan to achieve that dream. He stood beside us during the most important days of our lives. He held our children and became to them a Grandfather who, if possible, loved them as much as we do. He told us constantly how proud he was of us, how much he loved us and how important family was. At this time, more than any other, I know how much those lessons mean to me.
My Dad’s generous spirit was his most amazing quality. He would give you the moon if he thought you needed it. He gave to me more than I can ever thank him for. “Whatever you need.” That was his favorite thing to say. He never put limits on his generosity, even when he should have. I hope he knew how much his generosity was appreciated. I remember a few years ago I started a new job and was so anxious about what I would do at lunch time because I didn’t know anyone. For three days in a row he drove to my office and met me for lunch. He never questioned why I was so nervous or told me I was being ridiculous. He just came when I called and told me he’d keep doing it for as long as I needed.
Years ago my Mom made a cross stitch that said something like this, “Parents who are lucky in their children, have children who are lucky in their parents.” Today I smile because I am one of the three luckiest people in this room. I cry because the man that made me feel so lucky, is now gone. Bobby, Heather and I are so blessed to be able to say that we were raised by a man who adored us and truly enjoyed us. It’s no secret to most that I am my Father’s daughter. He and I share the same sense of humor and the same ability to talk the ear off of a deaf man. I hope and pray I also am as compassionate, kind and selfless as he was. The greatest lessons I ever learned, I learned from him. The greatest gift I can give my Dad now is to take all of these lessons and make him proud. I promise you Dad, I will make you proud. I will miss you as long as I live.
No comments:
Post a Comment