Today is the first Father's Day I cannot call my Dad to say Happy Father's Day. I threw it out there in the universe this morning, hoping he heard me or felt me. I feel a bit sad and very nostalgic today. I am remembering all of the things that made my Dad so very special to me.
My Dad was hilarious. So funny. I always felt like he was the funniest person I knew. He had the quickest wit and a very dry, sarcastic sense of humor. I like to think I get my sense of humor from him. He and I were for sure, the most alike. I can remember being a little girl and laughing so hard and some of my Dad's jokes. I felt so proud to have a funny man for my Dad.
My Dad was not your typical Dad. When I was growing up and went to my houses of friends, there Dad's were so different from mine. My Dad cooked, cleaned, did laundry and all of the other things that weren't typical "Dad" duties. I didn't grow up in a house that followed the typical gender roles. My parents both worked and both took care of the house responsibilities. They also both took equal responsibility of us kids.
My Dad was a PROUD Father of his three kids. He never missed a sporting event or school event if he could help it. When we were older he worked in sales and worked into the evenings but he tried really hard, even then, to come to our games or school events. If he couldn't make it he always asked about it and told us how proud he was of us. He was out of work when my sister was playing volleyball in her senior year. He went to every game and video taped them all. He was so proud of her!! He bragged about us to other people, just loud enough so we could hear him!
My Dad was a devoted Grandfather to all of our children. From my niece, who is nineteen to the newest Brown baby, Caleb, my Dad was so excited about all of his Grandkids! He held them, rocked them, played with them, talked to them and loved them. In the last year he wasn't working and went to so many of my nephew Robert's football, basketball and baseball games. He helped my Brother with my nephew Jacob's basketball team and tried to spend time with all of the other kids. His eyes would light up when the kids entered the room.
My Dad wanted to help all of us make our lives easier. When my husband and I moved into our house after we returned to Arizona, we started some renovations. My Dad offered to be here daily to help oversee the operation while we worked. He also did some of the work for us and coordinated many of our efforts in making our new house our home. He helped with everything from painting to pulling up tile to staying on top of our crew installing the new tile in our house. We couldn't have done it without him!!
My Dad had high expectations of us and wanted us to be productive adults. He pushed us hard when we were growing up. He always expected we'd give 100% to whatever we did - and we tried. He was plugged into our lives enough that he knew what was expected at school and we couldn't really bull shit him. He attended parent teacher conferences and signed report cards. There was never a "wait until your Father hears this" because he always seemed to know already!!
My Dad was an amazing Dad and I miss him terribly.
No comments:
Post a Comment