Laughter

Laughter

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Bittersweet

Around 11 a.m. this morning my Brother called to tell me his wife is going to the hospital to be admitted and then induced.  She'll have the baby today.  It's an amazing moment for our family.  Grandchild number 8 will be here for us to love and to be a part of the family we all treasure. 

It's hard not to remember that my Dad is missing this.  He absolutely adored each one of his grandchildren.  I like to say that my parents came alive when my niece was born (almost) nineteen years ago!  Because they had children so young and life was at times a bit of a struggle, sometimes the joy of parenting was lost.  But with their grandchildren there was no joy lost for them ever.  They doted on them from the moment they were born.  In my eulogy I mention that my Dad loved our kids as much as we did! 

I know that he would be pacing the hospital floor right now.  He'd be on the phone giving updates and begging my brother to let him help in someway.  He was at the hospital for almost all of the births of his grandchildren and this would be no different.  I know that he is with us in spirit and although I'm not ready to accept that he'll only ever be here in spirit, I have to accept it today. 

So we wait for word from my brother that the baby is coming soon and we anticipate how are family will change... for the better!  Today is bittersweet but definitely more sweet than bitter!

No comments:

Post a Comment