Laughter

Laughter

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Road trip!

Chris and I brought Christian to Albuquerque this weekend for a short getaway.  We both like to try get out of town as often as possible and I've been really looking for a reason to escape for a bit now!  We arrived in ABQ and I felt a bit out of sorts.  I kept feeling like there was something I was supposed to be doing.  Then I thought about what it was... I needed to call my Dad. 

Ever since I started traveling I have been calling my Dad right before and immediately after my trips.  I did this even when we lived in PA.  I'd call him a day or two before we headed out of town to let him know we were going.  He'd remember that we had a trip planned and ask me what our plans were, where we were staying and when we'd be back. He always ended the conversation the same way.  "Have fun and be careful".  ALWAYS!!  Sometimes he'd also have tidbits about the place we were going.  If he'd been there before he'd tell me about a restaurant, tour or bar we had to try.  If he hadn't he would tell me what he'd heard about that place. 

He'd also share with me what the weather was supposed to be like in the city we were traveling to and the city we were leaving.  He'd remind me to take a coat, a hat or an umbrella and to be glad we were going because a heat wave was coming and we'd miss it!  He was fascinated with weather.  While I lived in PA he would keep track of the weather in Scranton for me too.  He'd send me e-mails to let me know what the weather was going to be like in the next week and if snow/ice was expected that I should be careful on the roads.  Sorry... I digress.  

I would also call my Dad upon my return to let him know we'd made it home safe.  He'd ask how our trip was.  Did we try such and such or go to this place or the other.  Always interested in what we'd done.  He'd tell me he was glad I had fun and glad I was home safe.  Then he'd tell me what I'd missed while I was gone.  He'd fill me in on family happenings and the state of affairs in the news.  It wasn't as if I'd ever traveled somewhere I couldn't get the news but he filled me in nonetheless!!

So, it feels weird to be here now, on this first trip I've taken since he died, and not have had that conversation.  I know I won't have the welcome home conversation either.  My Dad was great at this stuff.  He was so plugged in to our lives.  His presence was a given.  I wouldn't say I took it for granted.  I just always thought it would be there.  I recognize that seems like the same thing but I see it as just a comfort in knowing he'd be there.  Or hoping.  Or needing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment